Geotechnical investigations are required for determination of subsurface conditions. These information are vitally demanded underground structures engineering.
These studies have been carried out for various projects such as off-shore projects, dams, subways, factories, residential and industrial structures, roads, tunnels and deep excavations.
The Geotechnics department has been establishes to provide following
Geotechnical and Geological Engineering
Material’s Quality Control
Pile Load Tests & Special Tests
This section owns all essential equipment for exploring, drilling and field tests activities including:
Pressure Meter, CPT, SPT, in-situ shear test, Vane shear test, plate load test, dynamic plate load test (LWD), large and small in-situ density test, field permeability tests (Lefranc, Lougeon), geophysical tests (Seismic, Electric methods), grouting test, and etc.
The most important projects studied by this section are:
- Offshore Geotechnical Investigations (such as: Bandar Abbas Intake, Industrial Site of Parsian Port, Bandar Abbas Desalination Plant, Marzbani Ports in Bandar Abbas and Boushehr)
- Geotechnical Investigations for Dam Sites (such as: Ghasr-e Ghand Dam in Balouchestan, Kahir Dam, Armaghan Khane Dam, Barough Dam in Miandoab)
- Geotechnical Investigations for Water Conveyance Projects (such as: Dasht-e Haraz Water Conveyance System, Conveyance Pipeline of Alborz Dam, Khoy Water Conveyance System, and Yazd Water Pipeline)
- Landslide Stabilization (such as: Slides of Shahid Rajaee Dam, Taleghan and Jolfa Railway, Babol Tank Area)
- Earth Dams Filter Design using NEF test (such as: Zabol Chaah-nimeh Dam, Shirin Darreh Dam, Daroongar Dam)
- Geotechnical Investigations for Tunnels and Subways (such as: Niayesh Tunnel, Amir Kabir Tunnel, Tabriz Metro-line 2, and Tehran Metro-line 7)
- Geotechnical Investigations for Roads, Railways and Bridges (such as: Railway Stations in Mahshahr, Mashhad and Doroud, Bypass Bridges in Miandoab)
- Geotechnical Investigations for Silos and Tanks (such as: Tanks of Khark Petrochemical Plant, Khark NGL Tank, Tanks of Shahid Rajaee Port, Garmsar Silos)
- Geotechnical Investigations for Industrial Complexes for Steel, Aluminum, Cement, etc. (such as: Steel Plants of Hormozgan, Shadegan, South Kaveh, Sabzevar, Baft, Sirjan, and Bafgh; Aluminum Plants of Al-Mahdi, Hormozal, and Lamard; Cement Plants of Abyek, Alborz and Neyriz)
- Seismicity Studies, Earthquake Risk Analysis and Determining Design Spectrum (such as: Imam Khomeini Mosalla, Tabriz Atisaz, Tabriz Metro-line 2, Noor Complex in Imam Reza Town, Niayesh Tunnel, Amir Kabir Tunnel, Hakim Tunnel)
- Geotechnical Investigations for Building Projects (such as: Imam Khomeini Mosalla, Tabriz Atisaz, Narges Hotel in Mashhad, Atiyeh Hospital, Navvab Project-phase 7, Imam Reza Town)
- Geotechnical Investigations for Petrochemical, Oil and Gas Plants (such as: South Pars, Khark and Dehdasht Petrochemical Plants, Khark NGL Plant, Assaluyeh SP-12)
Geotechnical Investigation needs Standard Laboratories Tests and analysis of material strength. P.O.R owns a fully-equipped central laboratory and more than 15 local laboratories.
Central Laboratory is equipped with all equipment required for physical and mechanical tests on soil, rock, concrete, asphalt, and aggregates and chemical tests on soil and water. Some important tests are: triaxial test on rock and soil, direct shear test on rock and soil, unconfined compressive test on rock and soil, Loss Angles test, filter test, point load test, Brazilian test, tension test apparatus (100 ton) and Quality control.
The soil and concrete local laboratories in industrial projects and earth dam sites control the work and materials quality. Some of the local laboratories are: Laboratories in Kahir Dam, Hajilar Dam, Hormozgan steel complex, Kaveh-e Jonoob steel complex, NGL project in Khark, Niayesh and Amirkabir Tunnels, Pars and Amir Kabir office-commercial complex and Gol Gohar Complex in Sirjan.
Ground improvement is highly useful and practical for geotechnical problems in new projects as well as old structures. In recent years, P.O.R is focused on geotechnical ground improvement, especially in problematic soils.
The most important activities of this team are:
- Ground improvement in South Pars by dynamic compaction – Assaluyeh
- Ground improvement by lime in Nayband Gulf – Assaluyeh
- Improvement by dynamic compaction- Bandar Abbas
- Compact Grouting in Parsian- Assaluyeh highway
- Ground improvement and injection of Parsian-Assaluyeh Highway
- Ground Settlement Remedy in Mahshahr
Pile load test team started its activities in 2004 to control tensile and compression capacity of in-situ piles in coastal, structural and heavy industrial projects. This team has tested over 200 piles with various sizes. The maximum load in compressive test has been 1050 tons and the maximum load for tensile test was 400 tons. Some of the projects of this team are: Static Test in Bandar Abbas’ Dry Dock, Shadegan Steel, Mianeh Steel, Ghayenat Steel, Bandar Abbas Steel, South Kaveh Steel and more than 3000 Pile Integrity Tests (PIT).
Moreover, Nail Tensile Tests and Micro-Pile Tests have been carried out in several projects, some of which are:
Nail Tensile Tests in deep excavation projects of Narges Hotel in Qom, Mahestan and Yas in Tehran, micro-pile tensile tests in Imam Khomayni Mossalla.